This Weekend is a very special weekend...



When I was a kid, I went to summer camp.
Not just any summer camp, a sleep-away camp tucked away in the middle of nowhere a couple states away that I thought was magical.

...There wasn't anything in the town besides this giant camp and an old truck stop.
Years later, when I went back to work there in college, the town finally had become fancy enough to have their very own Walmart. High living!

Anyway back to why I titled this post "This weekend is a very special weekend"...

You see at this sleep-away camp, they did all kinds of special things to make a kid feel loved when it was their birthday...especially at meal times when every counselor and camper hustled into the dining hall to eat their pizza bagels and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I too have a summer birthday, but I was lucky enough to spend it with my mom shortly after camp ended.
What always stuck in my mind was this birthday ritual they did for each child and I still smile thinking about it.

It started up by the director or another higher up staff member calling the kid up to the stage in the middle of the cafeteria.
First, You would then hear "Today is a very special day." One word sounded after the next slowly and each emphasized.... Today. Is. A. Very. Special. Day.

Next, You would hear it's "so and so's birthday and they are _____ years old.

Then, the most ridiculous part. Next the whole cafeteria would sing a song to get the kid amped that it was their day. The song consisted of the lyrics "Skip around the room, skip around the room, we won't shut up until you skip around the room." The same lyrics over and over again for about five minutes while the birthday boy or girl aimlessly skipped or ran all over the place.

Finally, the kid would go to sit back down and there would be party hats and a big cake for their table of campers and counselors.



***************

Sunday, I get to have my VERY SPECIAL DAY and I get to share it with my best friend and the love of my life.

I am marrying my mister.
I am incredibly excited.
I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with someone I love so much.
I'm so lucky to have him.
I've never met anyone who makes me smile so much.

He makes every day of mine special.

Here's to a very special day in our lives...
...And I promise that I won't make you shut up and skip around the room...

Comments